Sunday, October 02, 2005

"I'm a writer...shhh...don't tell anyone."

I am always surprised when a person who identifies themself as a creator of some kind has actually created something that is floating around in the world somewhere. For every self-styled artist actually living on the merits of their craft, there are at least a hundred more who are actually waiters or clerks or whathaveyou. Many of the latter (I have always suspected) like to identify themselves in this way so as to cash in on some cultural capital in certain social situations. Like this one for example:

EXT: Street

PRETTY GIRL MEETS TOTAL DUMBASS

Pretty Girl: "So... what do you do?"

Dumb Ass: "Uh, well actually I'm a writer"

Pretty Girl: [unleashing a smile that could melt the ice caps] "Ooo, that's so interesting. Anything I would know?"

Dumb Ass [visibly shaken] proceeds to deliver some line suggestive of how he is too 'real' for the publishing scene so (really) publishing something would be sort of like selling out, and he's too legit to sell out.

...I'll let you figure out the rest from there...

To this I would also add a third category, in which I number myself. This is the category of people who genuinely think of themselves as capable, but day-in, day-out, do nothing about it. If anyone ever asks me if I am either a filmmaker or a writer (because in conversation I tend to go overboard when talking about either) I get a sort of sheepish look on my face and tell them that I am an enthusiast...not the real deal. This isn't a total lie, but it does leave out part of the truth. Sometimes I think I chose academics because it legitimated my not producing any fiction (on screen or in print) of my own while I was there. Yet, when I think back, I can't think of anything that was more fulfilling than creating something. One or two of the things I've written have also 'gotten out' (if only in small town papers ect...). I can't really describe what its like to see yourself in print...its a strange sort of mix that is at once intensely narcissistic and also desperately embarrassing. But, as I have studied what: 'word', 'image', and 'sound' can all do, I've come to believe that putting art out there in the world is the best thing for (really) any creation. There is a lot of inconsequential art out there; but dammit, its out there...and until I get off my ass and get something out there I bow to those more courageous, or hard-working than I.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin, is this dumbass/pretty girl story autobiographical?

10:08 a.m.  
Blogger Kevin said...

Well not exactly, but close enough. As I said, I number myself among those who think themselves capable, but never do anything about it. The guilt over such laziness is usually enough to avoid any claims stronger than that you are a 'hobbyist'.

11:07 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

let's see some more bloggs; it's been 12 days!

11:18 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home